Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Non-Fiction

I read an article from the New York Times about how on the prevailing social networking site, Facebook, is allowing others to have access to personal information. If a friend of yours likes someone's photo, it comes up on your own newsfeed. You can also see when someone checks in at a distinct location. There is controversy on this new component on Facebook because people do not want some individuals to be able to access their information.

Being a user of Facebook, this type of news is frightening. I'm often skittish that someone unwanted will be able to find my page and hack onto it or harm it somehow. I think it's extremely important to be private, so then people you do not know cannot access your personal information. I think it is very dangerous that you are able to see if someone has checked in to a certain location. It makes it easier for people to be targets and potential stalking. I feel as though the large company of Facebook is making money, so in a way they are not thinking about keeping the users safe. Of course they do care, but they have other business offers on their mind and by using these tools, they are making more money by the minute. Often I think that large companies similar to Facebook are just concerned as making enough money as they possibly can. I feel with Facebook it should be different. Mark Zuckerberg made this social networking service so people can communicate and share findings within some sort of well known community. Facebook is all about the people. Doesn't he owe it to Facebook users to insure safety?

Lots of people blame technology for events that have occurred in this generation. Technology is very helpful because you can research and find things on different topics quickly. Technology of this generation also brings many dangers. It brings unwanted attention. Anything you put on twitter, facebook, tumblr, or any other social networking service can be saved or seen by anyone. By being able to see where people are, it is creating a dangerous environment. If someone wants to tell people where they are, they can do that on their own free will.

3 comments:

  1. this is great! it really makes you think back and want to go put all your settings on private! I agree that all these social networks and creating a dangerous environment. Good job.
    -Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like an interesting article and I agree with you it's kind of scary. It makes me second guess what I post of write online. The social media is both good and bad you get to see what your friends are up to yet it may be too personal and too many things may be online that we may not want everyone on it. I feel like all good things come with bad things
    -good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really would like to read this article or invest further in this topic because I think it's scary as well. I agree with all your opinions and how social media websites have their pros and cons. Really good post

    ReplyDelete