Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Keeping an open mind

I'm reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, by Betty Smith. The protagonist, Francie, is very limited. Limited meaning that she doesn't have a very open mind. She thinks that there is only one type of person; Jewish people in Brooklyn. She wonders about many things, but all she knows is Brooklyn. She knows exactly how people act in Brooklyn, the tricks people play, who much things cost. She's very well rounded in the sense of Brooklyn. But I think she often sometimes judges people as well.

For example, Francie was sent to the store to retrieve some bread for the family, but instead she sits on a bench outside of the shop. She notices an elder man sitting near her. She observed him very closely. She described his features has " revolting" and "sunken in." She also studies the way he's dressed. " His old coat with the padding hanging out of the town sleeve seam." " One of the buttons was missing from his grease-caked pants." She concludes that he must be old or past seventy. She starts to think about what he must have been like when he was a baby. How he must have been an adorable little toddler once. Everyone was. But people grow old and die. That's just the cycle of life. There's no changing this. It's going to happen.

Francie was revolted on how dirty his clothes were and how unappealing his features were as well. Before she knew anything about him, she automatically concludes that he is just a disgusting old man who's life has already passed him. He has no feelings. Nothing to live for. He's just old. And dirty. She thinks this because this is what she sees on the outside.

I think that this comes up a lot in life. Before people get to know you, they just judge you on what they see on the outside. I often hear the phrase " Life is easier when your pretty." I think in many ways this saying is true. If your pretty, people just are drawn to you. If your not pretty, you are judged. But each person will judge differently. The world is full of people judging other people. The constant criticism never stops. You hear it wherever you go all around the world. If people see something that is worth gossiping to their friend about, they are going to attack.

This happens a lot in middle school. Lots of adults say that middle school is the toughest time in life. Kids are just becoming teenagers and are trying to be more mature than they really are. Putting down other people is a part of middle school. It happens in every single one. " Never judge a book by its cover," is a true saying. But unfortunately, the world picks on people unnecessarily.

3 comments:

  1. This is so good! I totally agree with you on this! Like we were talking about in class, in a perfect world, no one would judge other people based on appearances. But this isn't a perfect world. Not yet, at least. Great job!! <33 Marya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Pia this was so good. I read this book as well, and you are so right, she judges so much. I read it last year so there were many parts I didn't understand, but her judging I definitely understood. I like the way you interpreted it. You thought of it as bad, and unnecessary. I thought of it a bit diferently, I thought that it was understandable but only because the only world she ever knew was Brooklyn. This was so good! <3 Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Pia I agree that you shouldn't judge someone on how they appear to be because looks are just one chapter in an entire book. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete